Business Leadership Lessons from Sports
June 16-18, 2014
Registration for the 2014 program is now closed. If you would like to be notified about the next offering of this program, please sign up for
This highly interactive three-day executive education program delivered just outside of New York City draws on lessons from sports experiences to help business professionals develop winning leadership skills and strategies. It is part of the Cornell Executive Business Education series, delivered by the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University in partnership with Cornell’s School of Continuing Education and Summer Session.
Sports serve as one of the most effective learning laboratories for training in leadership, strategy, teamwork, collaboration, and branding. Focusing on leadership lessons derived from sports experiences, you will explore:
- how the greatest sports coaches develop talent and motivate their teams;
- how characteristics of successful sports teams can be applied to work teams, including the use of big data; and
- what strategies iconic athletes have used to adjust to increased levels of competition and you can apply these tactics to your workplace.
This intense program will feature in-depth discussions, case studies, and engaging sessions (including a Moneyball numbers game and a pit crew experience in which you will change the tires of a race car) that will help you translate leadership lessons from the sports arena to your workplace.
Throughout, you will benefit from Cornell’s extensive connections, Ivy League faculty expertise, and an immersive learning process.
At the end of the program, successful graduates will receive a Cornell Executive Business Education certificate of completion.
This focused learning experience will help you:
- cultivate a coaching mindset;
- more effectively develop your own and others’ talents;
- increase your ability to turn data into insights into action;
- improve the overall productivity and success of high-performing teams;
- understand how to make key leadership transitions more effectively in your career;
- gain insight into your own leadership brand and how to maximize your brand to execute your personal strategy; and
- enhance your leadership skills.
Who Should Attend
The program is designed for middle to senior managers, business owners, and other business professionals who want to strengthen their skills in leading teams, leading a business, and self awareness, or who find sports a compelling source for leadership lessons.