This information pertains to Summer Session 2013. If you would like to be notified when information about Summer Session 2014 is available, please sign up for e-mail updates.
International Business Experience
May 27-July 24, 2009
The following information pertains to the last time this program was offered. If you would like to be notified via e-mail when new information is available, please subscribe to the Summer Session announcement list.
This program has been canceled.
4-8 credits, in Bulgaria, Turkey, and Greece
This intensive eight-week program, held in Bulgaria, Turkey, and Greece, will introduce you to the dynamic processes involved in integrating European countries into the European Union (EU) and give you first-hand experience with business operations in Southeast Europe. The program is directed by Dr. Elena Iankova, an award-winning professor who teaches at Cornell's Johnson Graduate School of Management.
The International Business Experience features:
- a four-credit distance learning course, "Business in the European Union," taught by Dr. Iankova;
- a three-credit course, "Experience in International Management/Europe Trek," focusing on meetings with government officials and visits to businesses in Bulgaria, Turkey, and Greece;
- a one-credit course, "Experience in International Management," during which you will participate in a four-week project with a multinational company operating in Bulgaria;
- the opportunity to explore international business management careers while immersed in European culture.
Through the International Business Experience program, you will have an extraordinary opportunity to:
- deepen your knowledge of European integration, the EU institutions and common policies, and the general business environment in Europe;
- gain an insider's view of how business operates in EU member states by visiting a variety of companies in Bulgaria, Turkey, and Greece;
- develop skills that will help you in your future studies and professional career, especially analytical, problem-solving and teamwork skills;
- establish contacts with Cornell alumni in the region and with local government and business executives;
- learn about important segments of Europe's rich historical, cultural, and religious heritage;
- experience everyday life in Southeast Europe;
- get a jump start on the program by enrolling in the four-credit distance learning course NBA 5991, Business in the European Union.
This program is designed for undergraduates who will complete their sophomore year or higher by June 2009, and for graduate students who are interested in international business careers or consulting on the EU and emerging markets on a global scale, including in East and Southeast Europe.