Cornell University–Ithaca College exchange program
- Exchange program policies
- Ithaca College students registering at Cornell
- Cornell students registering at Ithaca College
- Academic calendar differences
- Contact information
The Cornell University–Ithaca College Exchange Program is a reciprocal arrangement between Cornell University and Ithaca College that allows matriculated full-time students with prior approval and within stated stipulations, to cross-register at the other institution. No additional tuition is charged except in the case of undergraduate students enrolled during any one semester for a total of more than 18 credits (Cornell and Ithaca College combined). Those students are subject to additional tuition charges on a per-credit basis. This arrangement is available during the fall and spring semesters only, and is contingent upon space availability. A maximum of 12 credits may be taken through this program.
Program petition forms are available from the continuing education office at the respective school. Program policies, registration dates, and academic calendars are contained in this information sheet. See the contact information section below.
Exchange program policies
- Exchange program participants must be paying for full-time status at their home institution (12 or more credits for undergraduate students and 9 or more credits for graduate students).
- Students may take only courses not offered at their home institution. (Schedule conflicts or unavailability of courses in a given semester do not constitute valid rationales for enrollment as an exchange student.)
- Course must be applicable to the student's program of study.
- Enrollment is contingent upon space availability at the host institution.
- Only one course or 4 credits per semester is permitted (whichever is greater).*
- Students may take a maximum of 12 credits through the exchange program.
- The exchange program is available fall and spring semesters only.
- Credits and transcripts are automatically transferred to the student's home institution.
- Ithaca College students have quality points and credits earned at Cornell included in their cumulative GPA. Cornell students should consult their respective dean's or registrar's office regarding the established practice of credits earned through the exchange program relative to their GPA.
*Cornell students in the Department of Human Ecology with minors in exercise science may register for more than one course per semester; however, they are bound by the 12-credit-hour maximum. This program requires a 14-credit-hour course of study at Ithaca College. Students must pay for any additional credit hours required by their curriculum.
Ithaca College students registering at Cornell
- Pick up the IC–CU Exchange petition from the Ithaca College Office of Extended Studies located in G72 Peggy Ryan Williams Center. Complete the petition and secure approval signatures (graduate students should obtain the graduate dean's signature).
- Return petition to the IC Office of Extended Studies for confirmation of full-time status at Ithaca College.
- Print out and complete a course enrollment form.
- Pick up your approved petition from the IC Office of Extended Studies. Take the approved petition and completed Cornell enrollment form to registration (note dates below) at Cornell's School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions, B20 Day Hall.
- Fall 2016 registration: August 23–September 6, 2016
- Spring 2017 registration: January 25–February 8, 2017
A late fee of $50 may be charged after September 7 and February 9. This fee may be waived for individuals who obtain prior permission to register late from the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions office at Cornell.
Note: Graduating Ithaca College seniors enrolled in a course at Cornell during their final semester will not receive their diploma until the Cornell transcript is received and the grade posted. Depending on when the transcript arrives it may result in a September graduation date.
Cornell students registering at Ithaca College
- Pick up the IC–CU Exchange petition from Cornell's School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions office, B20 Day Hall. Complete the petition and secure approval signatures.
- Present the approved petition to the Ithaca College Office of Extended Studies (G72 Peggy Ryan Williams Center) during the first week of classes, before attending the first class. Note: Registration takes place during the first week of classes at Ithaca College in the Office of Extended Studies. Certain restrictions apply to courses in the School of Business as well as graduate-level courses.
- Once your registration is completed you should obtain an ID card from the ID Office located in IC's Campus Center in Philips Hall. An ID is required for registering a vehicle to park on campus, checking books out of the library, cashing checks at the campus center, and admission to athletic events and facilities.
- If you plan to have a vehicle on campus you must park in lots identified as red lots (these are student lots). You will be required to register your vehicle once you complete your registration for classes. You will need an Ithaca College e-mail username and password to register your vehicle online at ithaca.edu/sacl/safety/parking.
Students registering after September 8 or February 9 must obtain permission to register late. Please contact the Ithaca College Office of Extended Studies for further information.
Academic calendar differences
Students interested in enrolling through the exchange program should be aware of the academic calendar differences between the two schools. The semester begin and end dates, as well as breaks, are very often different and should be taken into consideration before completing the paperwork to cross-register. Students enrolled in the exchange program are required to attend every class and also be prepared to take exams when they are scheduled.
School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions
B20 Day Hall