Admissions and eligibility
Extramural/part-time study at Cornell is generally available to anyone who is of high school age or older.
Our students include high school students; undergraduate and graduate students; international students; professionals, executives, and corporate learners; military personnel; Cornell employees; Cornell alumni; retirees; and anyone else interested in learning something new for personal or professional growth.
Please note: Cornell degree candidates are not eligible to participate in part-time study in the fall or spring.
To attend Extramural Study, you must
- Enroll: enrollment involves letting us know who you are and what course you would like to take. We urge you to enroll as soon as possible to get into the course you want and to avoid paying applicable fees.
- Register: registration happens when you pay. All students must pay tuition and fees in full on or before registration day.
Your enrollment is contingent upon meeting any course prerequisites, completing your registration, and fulfilling any other applicable requirements. It is also subject to space availability in your selected class.
You are also expected to be familiar with the information on the Policies page.
So let's get started. Who are you?
- a general registrant (this category covers most students)
- a student wanting to register for independent study
- an international student
- a high school student
- a Cornell employee
- a Cornell retiree
- a Cornell student
- someone interested in auditing a course
- someone interested in visiting a course
If you're not certain where you fit in, please contact us and we'll be happy to help you.