Skip to content
Cornell University School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions

Credits, grades, and transcripts

Credit limits

Part-time students may register for up to eleven credits a semester in the fall and spring semesters. (Credit limits differ for the summer and winter sessions; see the Summer Session and Winter Session websites for information.)

This credit limit may be exceeded only in the most extraordinary of circumstances. Any request to do so must be submitted in writing to the registrar of the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. Please include your reasons for wanting to study at Cornell University and your academic goals. You must also send to the registrar all of your college and university transcripts and a letter of recommendation from a professor who knows you.

A meeting with a dean of the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions may also be required.

Grades and symbols

Refer to the Cornell University Courses of Study website for complete information.


Your enrollment as a part-time student in courses, your grades, and the number of credits you earn will be recorded on an official Cornell University transcript and will be a part of your permanent and complete academic record at the university. There is only a single complete Cornell University record for each student. All courses offered through part-time study are Cornell University courses.

You will be able to see your final grade(s) at the end of the semester by logging on to Student Center and clicking on "Grades" under Academic History. Your NetID and password are required. Grades cannot be given over the telephone, e-mail, or fax. If you are unable to access your grade(s), please contact the IT Service Desk at 607.255.5500.

To request a transcript, visit Ordering Transcripts on the Office of the University Registrar website. Again, your Cornell NetID and password are required.

How do part-time students who don't have a NetID request a transcript?

If you do not have a NetID and/or attended Cornell prior to 1982, please use the Self Registration ordering site to request a transcript.