Visiting a course
The Visitors Program is for adults who are not Cornell University degree candidates, but who would like to take advantage of Cornell's extensive course offerings. With the permission of a course's instructor, and upon payment of a nonrefundable fee of $141 per credit, visitors may sit in on most regularly scheduled non-participatory fall and spring semester courses.
Courses taken through the Visitors Program do not appear on your transcript. If you wish to attend a course at Cornell, don't need to earn credits, but would like the course to appear on your transcript, please see auditing a course.
- Visitors may not enroll in any participatory courses, including, but not limited to, those in photography, studio art, computer science, languages, and the laboratory sciences.
- Initial permission to register as a visitor rests with the college or school, its departments, and its faculty members. Individual colleges and schools may limit the number of visitors in each course and determine whether visitors are permitted at all. (Currently, visitors are not permitted to register in courses offered by the School of Hotel Administration or the College of Veterinary Medicine.) Final approval for granting visitor status, however, is at the sole discretion of the registrar of the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions (SCE).
- There must be space available in a course for a visitor after all students registering for credit have been accommodated.
- No transcript, grade record, or proof of attendance will be kept for visitors.
- There is no limit to the number of courses in which a visitor may enroll.
- Because Visitors Program registrants do not receive a Cornell University ID card, they do not have borrowing privileges at university libraries or access to other university facilities and services, including assignment of a Cornell NetID.
- The provisions of this program are limited to regular Cornell fall and spring semester courses, and do not apply to any program or course offered during Summer Session or Winter Session. In addition, this program is not open to high school students. (See the high school students registration page for more information.)
- Complete a Visitors Registration Form, available in B20 Day Hall or by contacting our office.
- Ask the course instructor to sign the form. The instructor's signature indicates that there is space in the class and that you have permission to enroll.
- Bring the signed form to B20 Day Hall during the registration period.
- Confirm with the SCE registrar that the course is non-participatory in nature.
- At the time of registration, the visitor must pay a nonrefundable fee of $141 per credit. There will be no refund of the visitor fee unless the visitor is not allowed to remain in the class because of space limitations.
- With an instructor's permission, a visitor who wants to register for credit may do so only during the first two weeks of classes. To change to regular credit registration, the visitor must re-register through SCE and pay the regular part-time study tuition of $1,410 per credit. The visitor fee will be credited toward the cost of tuition.