Be sure to check out (and bookmark!) the Summer College activities calendar (available in June) to learn about and keep up on all of the latest and greatest activities happening during Summer College.
When we ask Summer College graduates what advice they'd give to incoming students, they invariably say, "Work hard and play hard." So, let's talk now about the "play hard" part.
Here are some of the activities that Summer College students have enjoyed in past years:
- Intramural soccer, basketball, volleyball, ultimate Frisbee, capture the flag, laser tag, rock climbing, Ping-Pong, field crumpets, US quidditch, and more
- Free movies and outdoor music and lecture series and student-curated art, design, and architecture shows
- Weekend dances, dance classes, and karaoke
- Culture nights, coffeehouses, political debates, and open mics
- Producing Summer College's online newspaper, the Summer Times or the Summer College yearbook
- Participating in informal musical and dance groups
- The ever-popular Summer College Talent Show and after party
- Midnight breakfasts and ice cream socials
- Community service projects
- Sunset watching and star gazing from Libe Slope or the North Campus observatory, and lots more!
Although many students say their favorite Summer College memories are of simply hanging out with friends, you're always welcome to plan trips, events, and activities with your resident advisor.
Below are a number of alternatives for safe and legal swimming in the Ithaca area. Please note that swimming in the gorges is prohibited (see Gorge Safety for more information).
- Taughannock Falls State Park - life guarded swimming area on the west side Cayuga Lake
- Buttermilk Falls State Park - life guarded swimming in a natural pool at the bottom of Buttermilk Falls
- Robert H. Treman State Park - life guarded swimming in a natural pool at the base of a waterfall
- Cass Park Pool or Alex Haley Pool - large municipal swimming pools in the city of Ithaca
- Helen Newman Hall on-campus pool, call 607.255.5133 for hours
- Teagle Hall on-campus pool, call 607.255.1318 for hours
- Island Health & Fitness membership, call 607.277-3861 for information
- YMCA membership, call 607.257.0101 for information
Cornell Fitness Centers (CFC) strive to offer its members the best fitness equipment and workout options it can. With three summer locations around campus, a wide variety of group exercise classes each week, and an extensive variety of cardio and weight equipment, Cornell Fitness Centers provide safe, effective, and enjoyable exercise programs for its members and guests.
Summer College students can swim for free during open swim hours without a membership. Be sure to bring your Summer College ID card and your own towel.
For more information about classes and membership fees, visit the Cornell Fitness Centers website, call 607.254.2824, or stop by the fitness office in 319 Helen Newman Hall between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Want to get involved in chronicling your experiences this summer? If you enjoy photography, page layout, drawing, or graphic design, join other students in putting together the summer yearbook. Whether you've had previous experience or not, you're welcome to join this group. (Check out past yearbooks.)
Attention, writers, cartoonists, photographers! Do you have poetry, short (very short!) stories, essays, or artwork that you've already publishedin your school paper or elsewhereor longed to see in print? Visit the Summer Times page for more information.
Are you interested in learning and supporting people from different backgrounds, races, genders, and sexual orientations? Diversity Club is a great opportunity to engage in thoughtful conversations and broaden your perspective. Summer College is a diverse and welcoming environment and we value the engagement of our students in that community. You will also get a chance to work directly with staff to provide opportunities for students outside the club to engage in similar conversations. Students can sign-up at the Activities Fair during Opening weekend.