Skip to content
Cornell University School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions

Cornell University/Division of Nutritional Sciences Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Health Studies

August 2018-May 2019

Financing your studies

Although students in the Cornell/DNS Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Health Studies are not eligible for Cornell University-supported financial aid, they are eligible for federal and non-federal loans.

Tuition assistance for veterans

Veterans who wish to attend the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Health Studies may apply for Military Tuition Assistance, a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process, and restrictions. For more information about financial assistance for veterans, see the Education and Training section of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Federal Stafford Loans

Students in the Cornell/DNS Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Health Studies are eligible to apply for Direct Subsidized Federal Stafford or Direct Unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans from the Department of Education. The Direct Stafford loan limits for the academic year are as follows:

  • $7,500 for dependent students
  • $12,500 for independent students

To apply for a Federal Stafford Loan, you must first file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The results of your FAFSA from the federal processor must be sent to Cornell University’s Student Financial Aid Office, where they will be used to calculate your maximum subsidized or unsubsidized loan eligibility limits.

To ensure that your results are sent directly to Cornell’s Financial Aid Office, enter Cornell’s federal code number 002711 on your FAFSA report. You will receive an award letter listing your maximum subsidized and unsubsidized eligibility and the cost of attendance.

Non-federal alternatives for loans

Private non-federal educational lenders such as a bank or credit union can provide financing. In general, students may borrow up to the cost of education minus all other financial aid received. Although Cornell cannot recommend any particular lender, we advise you to compare lenders and loan terms to select the lender that best fits your needs.

We encourage you to review guidelines and tips developed by Cornell’s Financial Aid Office. You should be aware that private loans usually carry a much greater financial burden than federal loans; most have high and variable interest rates with less attractive repayment plans than federal loans, and they often require a credit check or a co-signer.

You will find a neutral list of lenders used by students enrolled at Cornell University, as well as additional information on alternative loans.

To better understand the differences between federal and private loans, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Aid First website.

Deferment of undergraduate loans

Once you have enrolled in the program and received your Cornell ID, all payments on federal student loans previously obtained qualify for deferment. Questions regarding deferment should be directed to Cornell's Financial Aid Office.

Monthly payment plan

Students in the Cornell/DNS Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Health Studies are not eligible for Cornell’s tuition payment plan services. Registration into courses and matriculation into Cornell requires tuition to be paid in full by the first day of classes for both fall and spring semester.

Student Financial Services

We recognize that every student’s situation is unique. If you have questions about your specific situation, please contact the Financial Aid Office at or 607.255.5145 and identify yourself as a student in the Cornell/DNS Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Health Studies.