While you're here this summer, be sure to check out some of the things that make Cornell such a unique and wonderful place:
- Our free summer events series features a variety of musical performances on Tuesday nights, lectures by acclaimed speakers on Wednesdays, and concerts on the Arts Quad on Fridays.
- The famous art, birds, brains, and other collections at Cornell include the Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, which offers great art and great views, the world-class Laboratory of Ornithology, and the fabled Brain Collection.
- The Cornell Plantations is 4,000 magnificent acres of rose gardens, lovely woodland trails, waterfalls, gorges, and ponds. Its a great place to picnic, jog, nap, or just get away from it all.
- The Space Sciences Building is home to more than 100,000 images taken of planets by NASA spacecraft.
- The Conservatory of the Bailey Hortorium is a 1930s greenhouse that is home to numerous tropical plants.
- The Fuertes Observatory is the perfect place for star and planet gazing on a clear Friday night.
- Willard Straight, a distinctive Gothic building with cathedral ceilings, marble staircases, and oak paneling, is a central gathering place for students from all across campus.
- Climb to the top of the McGraw clock tower and see the chimes firsthand.
- Take a tour of the Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source (CHESS), one of Cornell's many sophisticated research facilities.
- Outdoor education opportunities are everywhere, and you'll find facilities for baseball, basketball, tennis, swimming, golf, spinning, yoga, tae kwon do, rock climbing, and more.
- Cornell Cinema, one of the best campus film programs in the country, screens recent Hollywood hits, cult classics, documentaries, and popular foreign films.
- See also our
Below are a number of alternatives for safe and legal swimming in the Ithaca area. Please note that swimming in the gorges is prohibited (see Gorge safety for more information).
- Helen Newman Hall (on-campus pool)—call 607.255.5133 for hours
- Teagle Hall (on-campus pool)—call 607.255.1318 for hours
- Island Health & Fitness—call 607.277.3861 for information
- YMCA—call 607.257.0101 for information
Outdoor (summer only)
- Taughannock Falls State Park—swimming area with lifeguard on the west side Cayuga Lake
- Buttermilk Falls State Park—swimming area with lifeguard at the bottom of Buttermilk Falls
- Robert H. Treman State Park—swimming area with lifeguard at the base of a waterfall
- Myers Park, Lansing—swimming area with lifeguard on the east side of Cayuga Lake
- Cass Park Pool or Alex Haley Pool—large municipal swimming pools in the city of Ithaca