Instructions for undergraduates and general registrants
Step 1: Choose the class you want to take
- If you are a Cornell student, meet with your advisor.
- Browse and select a class from the course roster.
You may enroll for up to four credits (effectively a 20-credit semester) in Winter Session. This credit limit may be exceeded only in the most extraordinary of circumstances. Any request to do so must be submitted to the registrar of the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions with a written explanation of these circumstances. If you're an undergraduate, the request must include the endorsement of your faculty advisor. (If you're a student in Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences, you should also seek the support of your advising dean.) A meeting with one of the deans of the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions may also be required.
Step 2: Review Winter Session requirements
- Prospective Winter Session enrollees must read all relevant information contained in the Winter Session academics, enrollment, and tuition sections.
- In addition, students are responsible for any college regulations that may apply to their Winter Session enrollment.
- Cornell students must be sure their bursar and Cornellcard bills are paid in full in order to register for the Winter Session.
Step 3: Complete a course-enrollment form
Download the course enrollment form. Forms are also available in B20 Day Hall.
- Students enrolling in any form of independent study for credit must also complete an independent study form. The signature of the instructor is required on the independent study form, but not on the Winter Session registration form. All other requested information must be provided.
Step 4: Submit your course enrollment form and payment at the same time
Unless otherwise noted, there are two ways to submit your form and payment: in person and through the mail. For payment amount, see tuition and fees. For ways to pay, see payment methods. You are not officially registered for Winter Session until you have submitted full tuition and fee payment, and have no outstanding Bursar indebtedness. For registration deadlines see the calendar.
- Please submit your course enrollment form and payment at the same time.
- A late registration fee is charged if you enroll after the registration deadline.
- If after submitting your enrollment form you decide to make a class change, please submit a change-in-enrollment form.
If registering in person:
Bring your completed form(s) and your payment to B20 Day Hall between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. weekdays during the registration period. Visiting students will receive a Cornell ID request form at that time.
If registering through the mail:
Mail your completed form(s) with your payment to:
Cornell University Winter Session
B20 Day Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-2801
Payments must be postmarked by December 15, 2017. After this date, you must register in person. A late fee may apply.
Visiting students should stop by Day Hall on or after their first day of classes to pick up a Cornell ID request form.
Step 5: Review the welcome guide
Learn more about how to prepare for Winter Session and what to do when you arrive on campus.